Following rumors earlier this year that Sony had decided to pull back from releasing PlayStation 5 exclusives on PC, PlayStation Studios boss Hermen Hulst has now reportedly told staff that PlayStation’s single-player games will remain exclusive to its own consoles.
Sources “familiar with the company’s plans” told Bloomberg in March that PS5 games have not sold well on the platform, and suggested that PC ports “risk damaging the console’s brand and could hurt sales of the PS5 and its successors.”
Now, according to Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, “PlayStation studio business CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a town hall Monday morning that the company’s narrative single-player games will now be PlayStation exclusive, confirming Bloomberg’s reporting from earlier this year.”
Sony began bringing major franchises to PC via Steam in 2020, including God of War and The Last of Us, while Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s Cut – which launched on PC in 2024 – was the first PlayStation game to utilise features including trophies, PSN profiles, and friends lists via a PS overlay.
However, there was significant backlash over PSN connectivity for the PC port of Helldivers 2 in 2024, and Sony eventually backtracked on this requirement.
Sony has detailed its plans to expand AI integration throughout its organisation, including game development.