By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Online Tech Guru
  • News
  • PC/Windows
  • Mobile
  • Apps
  • Gadgets
  • More
    • Gaming
    • Accessories
    • Editor’s Choice
    • Press Release
Reading: Leading US Research Lab Appears to Be Squeezing Out Foreign Scientists
Best Deal
Font ResizerAa
Online Tech GuruOnline Tech Guru
  • News
  • Mobile
  • PC/Windows
  • Gaming
  • Apps
  • Gadgets
  • Accessories
Search
  • News
  • PC/Windows
  • Mobile
  • Apps
  • Gadgets
  • More
    • Gaming
    • Accessories
    • Editor’s Choice
    • Press Release
‘Narco-Submarine’ Carrying 4 Tons of Cocaine Captured by Mexico’s Navy

‘Narco-Submarine’ Carrying 4 Tons of Cocaine Captured by Mexico’s Navy

News Room News Room 21 February 2026
FacebookLike
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TiktokFollow
  • Subscribe
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Terms of Use
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Online Tech Guru > News > Leading US Research Lab Appears to Be Squeezing Out Foreign Scientists
News

Leading US Research Lab Appears to Be Squeezing Out Foreign Scientists

News Room
Last updated: 21 February 2026 09:10
By News Room 4 Min Read
Share
Leading US Research Lab Appears to Be Squeezing Out Foreign Scientists
SHARE

One of the US government’s top scientific research labs is taking steps that could drive away foreign scientists, a shift lawmakers and sources tell WIRED could cost the country valuable expertise and damage the agency’s credibility.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) helps determine the frameworks underpinning everything from cybersecurity to semiconductor manufacturing. Some of NIST’s recent work includes establishing guidelines for securing AI systems and identifying health concerns with air purifiers and firefighting gloves. Many of the agency’s thousands of employees, postdoctoral scientists, contractors, and guest researchers are brought in from around the world for their specialized expertise.

“For weeks now, rumors of draconian new measures have been spreading like wildfire, while my staff’s inquiries to NIST have gone unanswered,” Zoe Lofgren, the top Democrat on the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, wrote in a letter sent to acting NIST director Craig Burkhardt on Thursday. April McClain Delaney, a fellow Democrat on the committee, cosigned the message.

Lofgren wrote that while her staff has heard about multiple rumored changes, what they have confirmed through unnamed sources is that the Trump administration “has begun taking steps to limit the ability of foreign-born researchers to conduct their work at NIST.”

The congressional letter follows a Boulder Reporting Lab article on February 12 that said international graduate students and postdoctoral researchers would be limited to a maximum of three years at NIST going forward, despite many of them needing five to seven years to complete their work.

A NIST employee tells WIRED that some plans to bring on foreign workers through the agency’s Professional Research and Experience Program have recently been canceled because of uncertainty about whether they would make it through the new security protocols.

The staffer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media, says the Department of Commerce, which oversees NIST, originally pushed for banning all foreign researchers. But, according to the employee, NIST’s leadership and staff have pursued more flexible rules that would allow teams to justify bringing in foreign nationals instead of US citizens and potentially keeping them beyond a certain duration. How easy it will be to win approval on such exemptions is unclear.

On Thursday, the Colorado Sun reported that “noncitizens” lost after-hours access to a NIST lab last month and could soon be banned from the facility entirely.

Jennifer Huergo, a spokesperson for NIST, tells WIRED that the proposed changes are aimed at protecting US science from theft and abuse, echoing a similar statement issued this week to other media outlets. Huergo declined to comment on who needs to approve the proposal for it to be finalized and when a decision will be made. NIST spokesperson Rich Press said the agency would respond to the lawmakers’ letter “through the appropriate channels.”

Preventing foreign adversaries from stealing valuable American intellectual property has been a bipartisan priority, with NIST among the agencies in recent years to receive Congressional scrutiny about the adequacy of its background checks and security policies. Just last month, Republican lawmakers renewed calls to put restrictions in place preventing Chinese nationals from working at or with national labs run by the Department of Energy.

But Lofgren’s letter contends that the rumored restrictions on non-US scientists at NIST goes beyond “what is reasonable and appropriate to protect research security.” The letter demands transparency about new policies by February 26 and a pause on them “until Congress can weigh in on whether these changes are necessary at all.”

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Olympics and Politics Are More Intertwined Than Ever. Maybe That’s a Good Thing

The Olympics and Politics Are More Intertwined Than Ever. Maybe That’s a Good Thing

News Room News Room 21 February 2026
FacebookLike
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TiktokFollow

Trending

Anker’s powerful home theater on wheels is pure chaos

The Soundcore Nebula X1 Pro is too weird to exist. It takes the excellent 4K…

21 February 2026

Capcom Pledges ‘Firm Action’ Following Widespread Resident Evil Requiem Leaks, Begs Fans Not to ‘Ruin’ Excitement for Others

Capcom has at last acknowledged the fact that Resident Evil Requiem has now been widely…

21 February 2026

Gmail Is Killing POP and Gmailify Access. Here’s What It Means for You

Google giveth, and Google taketh away. Two long-standing features are being removed from Gmail, and…

21 February 2026
Gaming

Bluepoint Is Yet Another PlayStation Acquisition Horror Story

Bluepoint Is Yet Another PlayStation Acquisition Horror Story

Bluepoint Games' doors are closed. Five years after Sony stepped through them to welcome the developer’s staff into the warm embrace of the PlayStation Studios family, they have been locked…

News Room 21 February 2026

Your may also like!

The Search Engine for OnlyFans Models Who Look Like Your Crush
News

The Search Engine for OnlyFans Models Who Look Like Your Crush

News Room 21 February 2026
Nier: Automata Has Now Sold 10 Million Copies
Gaming

Nier: Automata Has Now Sold 10 Million Copies

News Room 21 February 2026
The Best Mushroom Gummies, Capsules, and Wellness Supplements
News

The Best Mushroom Gummies, Capsules, and Wellness Supplements

News Room 21 February 2026
Pokémon Fans Are Worried FireRed and LeafGreen Won’t Be Compatible With Pokémon Home, Making the PokéDex Impossible to Finish
Gaming

Pokémon Fans Are Worried FireRed and LeafGreen Won’t Be Compatible With Pokémon Home, Making the PokéDex Impossible to Finish

News Room 21 February 2026

Our website stores cookies on your computer. They allow us to remember you and help personalize your experience with our site.

Read our privacy policy for more information.

Quick Links

  • Subscribe
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Terms of Use
Advertise with us

Socials

Follow US
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?