By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Online Tech Guru
  • News
  • PC/Windows
  • Mobile
  • Apps
  • Gadgets
  • More
    • Gaming
    • Accessories
    • Editor’s Choice
    • Press Release
Reading: The El Paso No-Fly Debacle Is Just the Beginning of a Drone Defense Mess
Best Deal
Font ResizerAa
Online Tech GuruOnline Tech Guru
  • News
  • Mobile
  • PC/Windows
  • Gaming
  • Apps
  • Gadgets
  • Accessories
Search
  • News
  • PC/Windows
  • Mobile
  • Apps
  • Gadgets
  • More
    • Gaming
    • Accessories
    • Editor’s Choice
    • Press Release
Inside the App Where Queer Gooners Run Free

Inside the App Where Queer Gooners Run Free

News Room News Room 16 February 2026
FacebookLike
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TiktokFollow
  • Subscribe
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Terms of Use
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Online Tech Guru > News > The El Paso No-Fly Debacle Is Just the Beginning of a Drone Defense Mess
News

The El Paso No-Fly Debacle Is Just the Beginning of a Drone Defense Mess

News Room
Last updated: 16 February 2026 14:09
By News Room 5 Min Read
Share
The El Paso No-Fly Debacle Is Just the Beginning of a Drone Defense Mess
SHARE

A shocking but ultimately brief airspace closure over El Paso, Texas, and parts of New Mexico last week is stoking unease among pilots and the broader public about the status of United States anti-drone defenses.

As low-cost UAV equipment proliferates around the world, analysts have repeatedly warned that destructive attacks perpetrated using drones are inevitable. It is challenging to develop nimble and safe countermeasures, though, given that things like jamming or attempting to shoot down a drone are difficult—or even impossible—to carry out safely in populated areas, much less densely populated cities.

In the case of the El Paso incident, the Federal Aviation Administration originally set the airspace closure to last 10 days, but ultimately lifted it after eight hours. The Trump administration initially said the move was related to possible incursion of Mexican drug cartel drones, but the New York Times and others reported that it came from FAA concerns that Customs and Border Protection officials were using a Pentagon-provided anti-drone laser weapon in the area despite questions about potential dangers to civilian aircraft.

CBP reportedly used the laser defense tool to shoot down what turned out to be a party balloon.

“The FAA likely did a very intelligent thing by issuing the Temporary Flight Restriction,” says Tarah Wheeler, chief security officer of the cybersecurity consultancy TPO Group. “The initial 10-day length of the TFR makes it seem like the FAA wasn’t provided with information on how long the laser would be in use. The FAA doesn’t want to close down airspace longer than they have to.”

The FAA, Department of Defense, and Department of Homeland Security did not respond to WIRED’s requests for comment.

A White House official told The Hill on Thursday that an FAA administrator made the decision to close the airspace without notifying the White House, the Pentagon, or DHS.

“The Department of War and the Department of Transportation having been working together for months regarding drone incursion operations. Last night’s action to disable the cartel drones was not a spontaneous action,” the official told The Hill in a statement. “At no point in the process of disabling these cartel drones were civilian aircraft in danger as a result of the methods used by DOW to disable the drones.”

Also on Thursday, US representatives Veronica Escobar of Texas and Gabe Vasquez of New Mexico, along with New Mexico senators Martin Heinrich and Ben Ray Luján, wrote to DHS secretary Kristi Noem, defense secretary Pete Hegseth, and transportation secretary Sean Duffy to request a classified briefing on the incident.

The lawmakers wrote that they want representatives from each agency “to speak to the roles they played, acknowledge where the failed communication occurred, and share the steps you are taking to ensure a future crisis of this nature will not reoccur.”

The laser tool used in the situation was a “LOCUST” anti-drone weapon system made by the defense company AeroVironment (AV), according to a Reuters report. The LOCUST system is a 20-kilowatt laser directed energy weapon, a relatively low-power tool made to be used to take out small drones. (AV acquired LOCUST creator BlueHalo in November 2024.)

“The recent proliferation of inexpensive and readily available drones has shifted the focus to short-range air defense, where lasers and high-powered microwaves offer a potentially game-changing advantage,” an Army report on a laser weapons test said in June.

AV delivered two sets of LOCUST units to the US Army in September and December as part of the Army Multi-Purpose High Energy Laser (AMP-HEL) prototyping project—one of a few “Directed Energy Efforts” that the Army’s Directed Energy Prototyping Office undertook in 2025.

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Why Hiro is bullish on UK and EU game dev funding after helping The Chinese Room and Bulkhead go independent

Why Hiro is bullish on UK and EU game dev funding after helping The Chinese Room and Bulkhead go independent

News Room News Room 16 February 2026
FacebookLike
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TiktokFollow

Trending

Switch 2 pricing and next PlayStation release could be impacted by memory shortage

Sony and Nintendo are reportedly feeling squeezed by RAM shortages as demand from AI data…

16 February 2026

Final Fantasy Remake Series Going Multiplatform Will Not Lower Quality of Part 3, Director Insists While Acknowledging Fan Concern

Final Fantasy Remake Part 3 director Naoki Hamaguchi has discussed the impact of expanding the…

16 February 2026

Review: Saatva Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress

Photograph: Julia ForbesBased on the advertised deep contouring and pressure-relieving AirCradle foam, I expected the…

16 February 2026
News

Apple’s doing something on March 4th

Apple’s doing something on March 4th

Apple is hosting a “special Apple experience” in New York City on Wednesday, March 4th at 9AM ET, instead of at the Apple Park location it typically uses for events.…

News Room 16 February 2026

Your may also like!

After spooking Hollywood, ByteDance will tweak safeguards on new AI model
News

After spooking Hollywood, ByteDance will tweak safeguards on new AI model

News Room 16 February 2026
Amazon Props Up Misleading, Junky Laptops No One Should Buy
News

Amazon Props Up Misleading, Junky Laptops No One Should Buy

News Room 16 February 2026
Samsung ad confirms rumors of a useful S26 ‘privacy display’
News

Samsung ad confirms rumors of a useful S26 ‘privacy display’

News Room 16 February 2026
Review: Sony LinkBuds Clip
News

Review: Sony LinkBuds Clip

News Room 16 February 2026

Our website stores cookies on your computer. They allow us to remember you and help personalize your experience with our site.

Read our privacy policy for more information.

Quick Links

  • Subscribe
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Terms of Use
Advertise with us

Socials

Follow US
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?